Sturmey Archer S2C Duomatic Kick Shift Hub Specs and Info
Marco first let us know about Sturmey’s new 2 speed kickback hub here. Let’s look into the S2C further, which has been available since later this summer.
There are actually two variations of Sturmey’s new kick shift hubs, the S2 and the S2C. The S2 is a dual shifter without the break and the S2C includes a coaster brake mechanism. The S2 is not currently available but the S2C is.
And the S2C:
Here are the basic specs from the Sturmey Archer site:
Specs for 162mm Axle
• Hub Shell Material – 6061 Aluminum
• Axle Diameter – 13/32” Slotted
• Axle Length – 162mm
• Over Locknut Dimension – 116mm
• Right Axle Protrusion Length – 23mm
• Left Axle Protrusion Length – 23mm
• Spoke Holes – 36
• Pitch Circle Diameter – 67mm
• Flange Width – 53mm
• Spoke Compatibility – 13g or 14g
• Sprocket Teeth – 13T through 22T
• Chain Line: 1/8” Flat 43mm
• Chain Line: 1/8” Dished 41.2mm, 44.8mm
• Chain Line: 3/32” Flat 42.6mm, 43.4mm
• Chain Line: 3/32” Dished 41.1mm, 44.9mm
• Weight – 1400g
• Overall Range – 138%
• Gear 1 – 100% Direct Drive
• Gear 2 – 138% (+)38% (Gear 1 + 38%)
Gear Changing With the S2 and S2C
Gear switching on the S2 and S2C is accomplished by back pedaling slightly. On the coaster brake version, the S2C, a more deliberate and powerful back pedaling will result in the coaster brake being engaged.
S2 and S2C Installation
Below is a video of the S2C Setup in Moulton Bike. It shows the kick back action and coaster braking.
More to come!