Archive for August, 2008
It looks like that the belt technology breaks into the bicycle world. There have been many attemps to create a belt system which can replace a chain. They all failed! But now we see some of the big bicycle manufacturer using the belt drive…
The refernce according belt drive systems comes from Gates. A company who owns a broad belt portfolio mainly for industrial applications.
Their product is called GATES Carbon Drive.
This issue was already discussed at Bicycle Design.
Dobbybrain shows a beautiful TREK bicycle.
And finally the single speed guys from Karlsruhe / Germany try the belt.
Intresting to see on all the frames is the possebility to open the rear dropout to put the belt into the frame triangle. Let´s see which version will be the future standard.
All of them use the Gates system!
The guys from velojournal had the chance to test the Cannondale “On” concept. Here are the results in brief
- The Sram i-motion internal gear hub offers always the right gear. But with luggage and on long climbs gears with small ratios are missing!
- The chain is perfect capsuled.
- AVID disc brake performance is good
- Front suspension performance great (Lefty!)
- The folding mechanism was not realized and could not be tested
- No rear suspension
- Fenders missing
- Carriers missing
There are still some lacks to close for this bicycle concept. But based on design it´s a big step forward!
The bicycle will be produced in two years. The price will be around 6000 Euro!
Here is the “Google translation link” in English.
Here the original link to german text.